Kraken is the technology behind Octopus Energy.
We’re looking for a UX/UI Designer who is passionate about designing simple, elegant user experiences, and using human-centred design as a source of inspiration to solve complex problems on behalf of our current customers.
You’ll be joining our design team and help us bring a sense of identity and consistency to Kraken Technology’s products…
What you’ll do
- Work day-to-day in a cross-functional team with different stakeholders (developers, PMs, users, clients) when designing new features and products
- You’ll be working closely with the messaging team and be part of the Design System team, contributing to building and maintaining our library, documentation and patterns
- Collaborate on other projects across the company such as; improving the user experience and interface of different areas of our support site and helping with design requests and conducting UX audits of Kraken partner journeys
- Work on User research, UX and UI end-to-end
- Share designs for feedback early & often and offer design feedback to other team members
- Plan and facilitate workshops, user interviews, usability testing and discovery activities to understand how we can best meet our energy specialists’ needs
- Refining and adding to our design process documentation, and trying out new design processes with the team where possible
You’ll need a good level of experience/knowledge on
- Working with Design Systems and component libraries
- Design tools (Figma/Sketch/XD…) – Figma is our main design tool
- Design processes, knowing what steps are needed and which ones can be skipped based on the specific project or problem you are working on
- Being able to clearly communicate and motivate design decisions to team members and stakeholders
- Working with teams composed of designers, PMs, Front-End and Back-End developers
- Attention to detail when designing, being precise and ensuring something is done well rather than fast but poorly
- Ability to focus on user needs and knowing how to improve usability/UX
- Focus on accessibility and inclusion when designing components, interfaces and interactions
You’ll have a basic understanding of/experience in
- Considering front-end frameworks (Bootstrap, React…), HTML and CSS to be able to communicate your designs with devs and find workarounds when feasibility issues occur
- Participating to project stand-up meetings with developers
- Usage of project management software like Asana or Jira, knowledge of the agile process and organising work with tasks
- Knowledge of web accessibility and designing for accessibility
- Analytics tools (Google Analytics, Hotjar…)
- Performing user interviews and user testing
Some of the things you’ll look forward to
- 💜 Your new team: working as part of the Kraken design team with other passionate and super friendly UX/UI Designers
- 💖 The wider Tech team: everyone you’ll meet is friendly, kind, collaborative and knowledgeable
- 💚 The Operations team: the wonderful people from the Ops team (aka our users) are always available for user interviews, testing sessions, contextual inquiries and sharing feedback on our designs
- 📚 Level-up days: everyone in the team can pick a full day every month to dedicate to learning something new and making use of our learning resources
- 🍿 Design talks: share something cool that you know, do or learned with the rest of the team, or simply sit back with some popcorns and enjoy
- 🧖♂️ Spa-days: one day every month where you can work on something small and fun or quick wins for our users outside of your daily tasks (and get a free lunch from Deliveroo)
- 🎯 Team socials: we have team socials regularly (social activities include mini-golf, VR games, flight club to name a few) as well as occasional team lunches!
- 📝 Regular 1-1s: you’ll have monthly 1-1s with your managers to discuss and monitor your personal goals and growth and team and company goals
- ✨ … the list goes on, why not join the team and find out for yourself?
Why else you’ll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it’s something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don’t advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn’t apply to Octopus – what’s more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people. We’ve also been placed in the top 10 companies for senior leadership
- Visit our UK perks hub – Octopus Employee Benefits
If this sounds like you then we’d love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we’re looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.