- Employees can work remotely
- Employment Status: Full-Time
Hello, we’re UW
We may be a FTSE 250 Company but we are far from a corporate monolith, we don’t dictate or micromanage, we want our teams to be autonomous, proactive and self organising.We do love open source and are actively encouraging contributions back to the community. You can check our labs where we maintain fully supported open source projects at https://github.com/uw-labs as well as some coded in the open repositories at https://github.com/utilitywarehouse
We’ve got the culture and focus of the earliest stage startups with the resources and strength of an extremely profitable and loved brand. Our eyes are on meteoric growth over the next few years. All the pieces to make it happen are here, we need you to help us put them together.
At Utility Warehouse, we are committed to hiring and cultivating a diverse team. If you are on the fence about whether you would be successful working with us, please apply anyway!
Engineering at UW
– Our philosophy revolves around getting things done. We deliver with small, fully autonomous teams that have real ownership of their products using a cutting edge stack in a best-idea-wins meritocracy.
– We use the best tool for the job. Go and React are our bread and butter but nothing is stopping you from reaching for something else if it does it better.
– We deploy to Kubernetes across AWS and GCP with some help from Terraform. We run a mature event sourced microservice architecture using Kafka, NATS and GRPC.
– As much as is possible we code in the open on GitHub. If it can be open- sourced, it shall. If we can submit a PR instead of building our own, we will.
– Getting your hands dirty from the top to the bottom of the stack isn’t a promise to be broken, it’s a requirement. If you’re only good at parts of it that’s okay, we’ll quickly make you good at all of it.
In this role you can expect to
– Software Engineers (SEs) are the core of their team, providing the majority of its output. They take an active role in every aspect of the software development lifecycle: requirements, design, development, deployment, maintenance and support. They are able to work through problems independently and write good quality code.
– SEs still operate under the supervision of senior team members, and most of their work will be assigned to them by Senior/Staff Software Engineers.
– Technically, SEs have strong problem-solving and coding skills. They are familiar with our technology and the systems we use, and can anticipate problems before they arise. SEs are also strong team players, communicating and collaborating with their team to handle larger projects. They may be required to assign tasks to ASEs and provide feedback on their work. General teamwork skills (particularly providing constructive feedback and communicating ideas/problems) and project management are essential soft skills for an SE.
– Gain an understanding of the business context of the team and area.
– Contribute effectively to all parts of the development lifecycle, including defining requirements.
– Write readable, well-documented code and test is appropriately.
– Define tasks and design and deliver simple and effective solutions, taking into account both technical and business requirements.
– Identify and communicate project roadblocks.
– Review other engineers’ code and provide constructive feedback.
– Work with their team to optimise work processes and deliver projects as efficiently as possible.
As SEs work more with their team, they should aim to improve their general awareness of the “bigger picture” aspects of project delivery (workflow, domain modelling, their team’s platform architecture). They should also aim to improve their teamwork and people management skills.
What’s in it for you
Join a high growth FTSE 250 business and help us achieve our ambitions whilst learning and having fun. Become part of a fantastic business culture where people really are at the heart of everything we do.
- Huge opportunities for exposure & development as we scale up.
- A competitive salary.
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays.
- Life Insurance up to 4 x your salary.
- Discounted healthcare and medical cash plans including a free Virtual GP service.
- Private pension scheme.
- Share options and Save As You Earn Scheme.
- A range of Health & Wellbeing benefits including a confidential Employee Assistance Programme, Virtual fitness classes and wellness tools.
- Discounts on UW products & services.
The Hiring Process
Our interview process begins with an introductory call to help you learn more about the company, the role and help us learn more about you. If we move forward, we will invite you to an on-site interview so we can have a face to face chat, and go into more technical details of the role and requirements. You will also have the chance to meet the team and our technology leaders, have a look around our offices and get a feel for who we are.
We provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your age, disability, gender, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
Please note, if you are applying for a role which involves having access to personal data, you will be subject to a background check. Where checks are unsatisfactory or incomplete and/or a failure to reveal information relating to convictions that you are required to identify as part of the background checks could lead to withdrawal of an offer of employment.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.