This single post is being offered at two grades S (SEO) or H (HEO) to allow the flexibility for us to appoint either an experienced technical project manager or an early-career junior project manager. The independent job descriptions, advertised concurrently, describe the respective skills and experience we seek at each grade. Applicants should consider which grade their skills and experience are best suited to and apply only once, at S (SEO) or H (HEO).
Are you passionate about delivering great digital projects? The Digital and Data Solutions Team at JNCC works across the organisation to deliver creative and innovative solutions which support biodiversity and nature conservation.
In this role, you will deliver project management across the science and business teams, helping colleagues turn their digital aspirations into real-life solutions. To do this, we deliver projects in an agile way and take a user centred approach to ensure the products we create are fit for purpose. We also collaborate with science and business teams to support them in delivering robust technical solutions that meet Government delivery standards.
You could be managing the delivery of satellite data processed on a supercomputer; developing systems to manage species and habitat information or evaluating business systems to help the organisation work more efficiently. Within the Digital and Data Solutions (DDS) team are IT and Information Management specialists, data engineers and software developers, but you’ll also work with marine, terrestrial and air quality experts across the organisation and beyond on projects that deliver conservation advice and evidence to governments and specialists in the UK, Overseas Territories and elsewhere.
You don’t need to be a conservation scientist but will be keen to build a broad understanding of JNCC’s work and be able to integrate technical delivery with the broader business.
The successful candidate must be a good communicator with strong project management and technical skills. We are also keen to hear from you if you are an early career project manager or are keen to sidestep into a project management role from a job utilising similar skills. Scripting and programming experience would be an advantage. An interest in nature conservation would help to put your work in context but is not a necessity.
You will work alongside three other Technical Project Managers and liaise closely with project leads across JNCC’s other teams.
This post is being offered at two possible entry points.
• If you have significant demonstrable experience in project management including project planning, financial and staff management alongside relevant technical skills then the S (SEO) Technical Project Manager entry may be appropriate
• If you are an early-career project manager or have relevant experience co-ordinating projects in another field and wish to focus on a project management career in future, then the Junior Project Manager H (HEO) entry will give you an excellent skills development path. You will have the opportunity to work across a range of projects, with mentoring from our Technical Project Managers to build your skills, qualifications and experience.
You will have the opportunity to train for a formal Agile Project Management qualification as part of the role.
Post Duties H (HEO) grade
The main duties of the Junior Project Manager post are to:
• Manage all aspects of small scale projects with support from experienced project managers.
• Review and assist in the creation of key project documentation including Project Initiation Documents, Business Cases and other key project documentation.
• Master, maintain and administer the core systems/tools such as: Mailchimp, Jira, Google Analytics, Google ads and Cloudhealth for reporting on project progress and resource usage.
• Organise and assist in the delivery of user research interviews and workshops
• Set up and attend project and stakeholder meetings and to record outcomes from these meetings as required.
• Manage user testing processes, including writing test scripts, organising accessibility testing and documenting feedback.
• Maintain project documentation (schedules, budgets, risk/issue logs, decision logs, specifications) in line with project management best practice.
• Manage financial tasks including submission of requisitions, sharing purchase orders with suppliers and supporting procurement processes.
• Assist with contract and procurement processes, including the creation of tender documents, and co-ordinate the review of tender submissions.
• Undertake high-level technical research to identify and validate options and solutions for Digital and Data Projects (e.g., choice of appropriate platforms and technologies).
• Provide project reporting for internal teams and external stakeholders.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
- Delivering at Pace
- Managing a Quality Service
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- A good understanding of web technologies, software/systems development, and the use of data analytics
- An understanding of data and its uses and lifecycle from discovery to archive
- Experience in or awareness of project management, ideally for digital project delivery including Agile methodologies
- Experience in or awareness of business analysis principles and techniques, with particular reference to effective liaison between technical experts and customers to define, prioritise and articulate requirements as technical specifications
- Experience in or awareness of contractor and contract management and processes; including writing an invitation to tender, evaluating tenders and managing an effective delivery
- Experience of monitoring and reporting project progress and budgets
- Experience of analysing requirements and building a specification based on user needs
JNCC is committed to creating an environment where everyone feels valued and respected and see this as a good place to work. JNCC has a responsibility to ensure that we have an inclusive culture where discrimination, harassment, bullying and prejudice will not be tolerated. Our selection process is determined on fair and open competition and regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership.
Continuous professional development (CPD)
Employees are encouraged to keep developing skills and professional knowledge.
JNCC has made available, and encourages employees to use, on average, five working days per annum for CPD activities with access to related funding
JNCC annual leave allowance is 25 days per annum. After five years’ service, leave entitlement increases to 30 days per annum.
In addition to annual leave, JNCC offers 12 public and privilege days per annum, three of which are explicitly reserved for office closure between Christmas and New Year.
JNCC supports flexible working hours and practices to help employees strike a good balance between work life and personal life.
Our policies are family-friendly and include flexi-time, flexible working patterns, compressed hours and dispersed working. JNCC also offers paid maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave, over and above the minimum statutory entitlements. Some work/life balance benefits are available following a minimum length of service.
Any move from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may however be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax-Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk/
Civil Service Pension
Employees will have the opportunity to join Civil Service pension arrangements, which include a valuable range of benefits. JNCC will pay an age-related contribution and will match any voluntary contributions (up to 3%) paid by the employee..
Employee Assistance Programme
JNCC provides employees with a free and confidential support service which gives unlimited access to information, advice and emotional support to help employees prepare for and manage all of life’s ups and downs, events and challenges.
JNCC has entered into a partnership agreement with its recognised Trade Unions: Prospect and PCS, which employees are able to join and be involved with.
Salary sacrifice schemes
Employee Discount Scheme
Civil Service Sports Club
To apply for this job please visit www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk.