Kraken is the technology behind Octopus Energy.
Smart Pear is the part of Kraken Technologies Ltd that provides, amongst other things, the means by which Kraken talks to smart meters via the DCC.
We’re looking for a junior developer who is passionate about understanding complex business problems, developing code-based solutions and then maintaining the solution to provide continuously excellent service and support.
You’ll be joining our team and helping us both manage the DCC Adaptor on an ongoing operational basis as well as addressing the challenges of the future as we take this technology out to other energy industry customers.
Whilst this may seem challenging at this stage, we appreciate that there is a lot to learn in this space and are committed to providing the training and support so that you can thrive.
What you’ll do
- Work day-to-day in a cross-functional team with different stakeholders (developers, PMs, users, clients) understanding and analysing current issues and requirements and helping in the development of solutions.
- Undertake a range of technical and security-related tasks, spanning process design, architecture, coding, testing and deployment.
- Provide support to customers and other tech teams within Kraken.
- Refining and adding to our design process documentation, and trying out new design processes with the team where possible.
What you’ll have
- Problem-solving with very good analytical skills.
- Design and analytical approaches such as sequence diagrams and use cases.
- AWS and cloud-based architecture.
- Usage of project management software like Asana or Jira
- Knowledge of the agile process and organising work with tasks.
It would be a bonus if you have any experience of the following:
- The GB energy market and smart metering
- Programming languages such as: Ruby, Python, XML, JSON
Above all, we’re looking for someone who thrives on providing alternative opinions, challenging those around them and being challenged.
Why else you’ll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it’s something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don’t advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn’t apply to Octopus – what’s more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we we’re voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub – Octopus Employee Benefits
We would prefer someone who can work in our London office but will consider remote candidates for some of our teams. However, you do need to be able to work in the UK.
We’re very excited to be growing our team. We’re looking for skills and experience to help shape and define the future of not only our team, but the wider business at a global scale. If you’re reading this and grinning, please apply! There are huge challenges to tackle, and we need amazing people who are keen to get stuck in.
If this sounds like you then we’d love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we’re looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.