The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
Science and Technology Facilities Council
Hours: Full time
Contract Type: Open Ended.
Location: Science and Technology Facilities Council, Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington
At the Hartree Centre, we want to see UK businesses outperforming their global competitors. We want to grow the economy, create skilled jobs and train people to excel in them. Most of all, we want to keep the UK at the forefront of industrial innovation.
We provide collaborative research, innovation and development services that accelerate the application of High Performance Computing (HPC), data analytics and Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies. We have a technically exciting computing environment, encompassing a wide range of hardware and software technologies. Our staff are instrumental to our success and new starters will be members of a valued, multi-disciplinary team.
The Graduate Scheme
The STFC Graduate scheme will give you the opportunity to really pursue your interests and passion early in your journey with us, supported by technical training and a broader programme of career support and training and development.
Our dedicated Graduate Development Team will provide the right combination of challenge and support throughout, helping you achieve your ambitions. We know that professional recognition is also important to you too, so we will provide mentoring and expertise to help you achieve valued qualifications or chartered status in your chosen field.
STFC offers a benefits package crafted to provide an excellent work/life balance including 30 days’ annual leave, an outstanding index linked pension scheme, 10.5 public and privilege days, Christmas closure and flexible working hours. For more information on our full list benefits, please visit here.
Summary of key duties & responsibilities
We have an opportunity for a Research Software Engineer with an interest in providing applications support to internal and external stakeholders across a broad range of technology platforms.
We are looking for a team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills who can work effectively with all stakeholders including colleagues and users of our services. You must be able to demonstrate excellent analytical and problem-solving capabilities, professional communications skills and the ability to show sound judgement.
You are a critical thinker who regularly demonstrates initiative. You are keen to learn, with a demonstrable interest in supporting open source and proprietary software on novel computing platforms. Some experience of software development is preferred.
You will be presented with the opportunity to work independently and in small multi-disciplinary groups on projects designed to deliver enhancements to our infrastructure and services.
We operate a service desk according to ITIL best practice and the role will include the provision of “Level 2” support on a shared rota basis in support of the service desk.
Your key responsibilities include:
- Install and configure software applications and utilities on Linux systems.
- Collaborate on the development of bespoke software tools, utilities and programs.
- Create and maintain accurate documentation of procedures and configurations.
- Timely delivery of project work to specification and within budget.
- Contribute to our “Level 2” support activity, maintaining secure records of your activities.
- Advocate best practice and new or revised technical procedures to colleagues.
- Work effectively within, and develop solutions that comply with, the Hartree Centre systems architecture, local and corporate policies, and our change management procedure.
In order to apply for the role we are looking for the following:
- You’ll need to have, or be on course to achieve, a minimum 2:1 degree, in a relevant field of study
- Have the right to live and work in the UK at time of starting employment
- Software development experience with Bash, Python or a compiled programming language
- Practical experience of the Linux operating system
- Excellent communication skills
- Effective organisational, time management and problem-solving skills – able to prioritise and to deliver against work plans
- Team player – not afraid to ask for support, keen to support colleagues
- This role requires an enhanced security clearance
- Some experience in data visualisation
- Some knowledge of GPU acceleration
- Some familiarity with (preferably, scientific) application software
Part of our application process involves submitting your CV and a cover letter. Your cover letter should address your suitability for the opportunity based how you meet each essential criteria stated in this advert.
To apply for this job please visit uksbs.referrals.selectminds.com.