Data Analyst – Revenue Assurance
Location: We’re flexible with this role being based from either our Bristol or London office to allow for team collaboration, but there’s no requirement to go into the office everyday.
We’re making zero carbon happen
We’re OVO Group, a big family of companies united by a single vision: to get to zero carbon, fast.
We call this Plan Zero – and it shows how we’ll be fighting the climate crisis and transforming the way people use energy over the next decade. To do this, we need the sharpest minds. Are you up for the challenge?
So much has changed since we launched in 2009. Our goal remains the same though: make energy cheaper, greener, and simpler. Just as it was on day one.
Everyone belongs at OVO
Our aim is to build a diverse and inclusive movement: teams of brilliant people, with unique talents, skills, passions, and experiences.
We encourage everyone to join us, whatever your gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, life experience, or background. So please come as you are – we can’t wait to meet you.
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
You will be working within OVO Retail, playing a crucial role in helping OVO become the number one trusted energy brand. You will be part of the Revenue & GM Analytics & Assurance team (3 x Products: Revenue Assurance; Portfolio Analytics; Invoice Validation). We are embedded in the Finance team and form part of the OVO analytics community where you will share your knowledge and contribute towards the wider team’s success.
The Revenue Assurance team is responsible for delivering billing estimation models and monitoring billing performance across our energy portfolio, linking analysis through to judgments made in our financial reporting. Using your team’s insight and analysis, we will harness this data to improve billing operations and revenue recognition which will have a direct impact on OVO’s bottom line and customer satisfaction.
The team seeks to use modern analytic and data engineering tools, combined with a deep understanding of the energy industry to tackle critical problems throughout the business. We use a wide range of tools including SQL (Bigquery), Python, Git and BI software (Tableau/Google Data Studio). Technical development is a key focus within the team and we are always seeking to learn and implement the latest tools and standard methodologies, as well as upskilling team members.
What will I be doing?
Data is the foundation of everything we do, and to deliver our vision we need curious, tenacious people who can turn this data into strategy and actions with their expertise. Your primary responsibility will be to support development and monitoring of our billing estimation algorithms that produces ~£4bn bills each year.
You will work in a team of ~3 analysts with a wide range of skills and knowledge and will work collaboratively on large projects as well as having ownership of processes and delivering analysis independently.
Within Revenue Assurance you’ll get the opportunity to work on problems such as:
- Building benchmarked usage estimation models of varying complexity to improve billing accuracy, improve direct debit accuracy, reduce bill shock and improve customer satisfaction.
- Working with Finance colleagues and Ops billing specialists to report on the financial and operational ‘health’ of our billing systems, including billing-imbalance, helping them link operational performance through to our monthly financials.
- Developing a deep understanding of how our billing systems work and where appropriate designing controls (input, process, output) around billing to assure our financial reporting.
- Ensure our processes have comprehensive and automated controls, testing and validation.
- Data storytelling; defining metrics and building dashboards to support performance analysis, strategic decision making and product development.
- Proactively mining data across the business to find opportunities to reduce revenue leakage and enrich the quality of our reporting.
- Using your insight to tell a story with the data and support in strategic decision making.
- Presenting your findings back across to senior team members in the business with confidence.
- Forging positive working relationships with teams across OVO to ensure our insight has the greatest impact.
- Promoting ethical methodologies across how all data is used and processed, always ensuring compliance and security is placed first.
Is this the job for me?
This Revenue Assurance Analyst role is new within the business and would suit somebody who is phenomenal at producing robust, insightful data analysis to drive operational and strategic conversations.
Ideally you will:
- Have a strong mathematical or analytical background.
- Be able to take a business problem and come up with the relevant data analysis to investigate it.
- Enjoy taking ownership of projects to build complex new models.
- Be confident managing and manipulating large amounts of data.
- Have experience in core analysis technologies, ideally excellent SQL skills and programming with Python or similar.
- Have proven high attention to detail.
- Be passionate about learning and developing new skills to suit the work.
- Produce transparent work that makes things simple for the wider team.
- Be a creative problem solver who thrives off direct responsibility and delivering value.
- Have strong presentation and communication skills – able to articulate results clearly and concisely to senior team members.
- Be able to act as the business partner with other areas of the business e.g. operations.
Even better if you have:
- A curiosity about the workings of an energy company Finance function
- Experience producing visualisations and reporting (e.g using BI tools)
- Comfortable writing repeatable code, using Git and documenting processes
- Energy industry and/or billing / revenue assurance knowledge a plus.
Brilliant benefits for a world-changing team
Our people are at the heart of Plan Zero. That’s why we offer plenty of green benefits and progressive policies to make you feel at home.
For starters, you’ll get 34 days of holiday (including bank holidays).
Then there’s Flex Pay. It’s an extra 9% of your salary on top of your core pay to use as you like. You can take it as cash, add to your pension, or choose to spend it on a huge range of flex benefits.
Here’s a taster of what’s on offer:
For your health
With benefits like a healthcare cash plan or private medical insurance depending on your career level, critical illness cover, life assurance, health assessments, and more
For your wellbeing
With gym membership, gadget, travel and cyber insurance, workplace ISA, will writing services, DNA testing, dental insurance, and more
For your lifestyle
With extra holiday buying, discount dining, culture cards, tech loans, and supporting your favourite charities with give-as-you-earn donations
For your home
Get up to £300 off any OVO Energy plan (when you pay by Direct Debit), plus personal carbon offsetting and great discounts on smart thermostats and EV chargers
For your commute
Nab a great deal on ultra-low emission car leasing, plus our cycle to work scheme and public transport season ticket loans
Want to hear about our full range of flexible benefits and progressive people policies? Our People Team can tell you everything you need to know.
Oh, and one last thing…
We’d be thrilled if you tick off all our boxes yet we also believe it’s just as important we tick off all of yours. And if you think you have most of what we’re looking for but not every single thing, go ahead and hit apply. We’d still love to hear from you!
To apply for this job please visit careers.ovo.com.