Website OVO Energy
Data Analyst – Energy Portfolio
Location: We’re flexible with this role being based from our Bristol office to allow for team collaboration, but there’s no requirement to go into the office every day.
We’re making zero carbon happen
We’re OVO Group, a big family of companies united by a single vision: to get to zero carbon, fast.
We call this Plan Zero – and it shows how we’ll be fighting the climate crisis and transforming the way people use energy over the next decade. To do this, we need the sharpest minds. Are you up for the challenge?
So much has changed since we launched in 2009. Our goal remains the same though: make energy cheaper, greener, and simpler. Just as it was on day one.
Everyone belongs at OVO
Our aim is to build a diverse and inclusive movement: teams of brilliant people, with unique talents, skills, passions, and experiences.
We encourage everyone to join us, whatever your gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, life experience, or background. So please come as you are – we can’t wait to meet you.
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
This role works within OVO Retail, playing a crucial role in helping OVO become the number one trusted energy brand. You will be part of the Revenue & GM Analytics & Assurance team (3 x Products: Revenue Assurance; Portfolio Analytics; Invoice Validation). We are embedded in the Finance team and form part of the OVO analytics community where you will share your knowledge and contribute towards the wider team’s success.
The Portfolio Analytics team is responsible for providing clear, accurate and detailed reporting on our energy portfolio, including energy usage, revenues and costs. We seek to harness this data to find opportunities to optimise costs or reduce leakages throughout the business.
The team seeks to use modern analytic and data engineering tools, combined with a deep understanding of the energy industry to tackle critical problems throughout the business. We use a wide range of tools including SQL (Bigquery), Python, Git and BI software (Tableau/Google Data Studio). Technical development is a key focus within the team and we are always seeking to learn and implement the latest tools and standard methodologies, as well as upskilling team members.
What will I be doing?
Working within the Portfolio Analytics team in Finance, you will work on diverse and high value projects impacting many areas of the business.
You will work in a team of ~6 analysts with a wide range of skills and knowledge and will be able to work collaboratively on large projects as well as having ownership of processes and delivering analysis independently.
Within Portfolio Analytics you’ll have the opportunity to work on problems such as:
- Manipulating huge volumes of energy data to produce complex models and provide valuable insight.
- Develop and improve business critical processes which ensure the accurate and timely delivery of key reporting (e.g Revenue and Margin reporting)
- Ensure our processes have comprehensive and automated controls, testing and validation.
- Crafting novel insight analytics, and productionising this into automated processes where appropriate.
- Proactively mining data to find opportunities for the business to reduce leakages or increase value.
- Using your insight to tell a story with the data and support in strategic decision making
- Presenting your findings back across to senior team members in the business with confidence
- Forging positive working relationships with other teams to ensure our insight has the greatest impact.
Is this the job for me?
This role would suit somebody who is phenomenal at producing robust, insightful data analysis to drive operational and strategic conversations.
Ideally you will have:
- A strong mathematical or analytical background
- Confidence managing and manipulating large amounts of data
- Experience in core analysis technologies, ideally excellent SQL skills and programming with Python or similar.
- The drive to learn and develop new skills to suit the work
- Proven high attention to detail
- The ability to take ownership of projects to build complex new models
- Transparent work that makes things simple for the wider team
- A creative problem solver who thrives off direct responsibility and delivering value
Even better if you have:
- Experience producing visualisations and reporting (e.g using Tableau)
- Presentation and communication skills – able to articulate results clearly and concisely to senior team members.
- Comfortable writing repeatable code, using Git and documenting processes
- Energy industry and/or settlement knowledge a plus
Brilliant benefits for a world-changing team
Our people are at the heart of Plan Zero. That’s why we offer plenty of green benefits and progressive policies to make you feel at home.
For starters, you’ll get 34 days of holiday (including bank holidays).
Then there’s Flex Pay. It’s an extra 9% of your salary on top of your core pay to use as you like. You can take it as cash, add to your pension, or choose to spend it on a huge range of flex benefits.
Here’s a taster of what’s on offer:
For your health
With benefits like a healthcare cash plan or private medical insurance depending on your career level, critical illness cover, life assurance, health assessments, and more
For your wellbeing
With gym membership, gadget, travel and cyber insurance, workplace ISA, will writing services, DNA testing, dental insurance, and more
For your lifestyle
With extra holiday buying, discount dining, culture cards, tech loans, and supporting your favourite charities with give-as-you-earn donations
For your home
Get up to £300 off any OVO Energy plan (when you pay by Direct Debit), plus personal carbon offsetting and great discounts on smart thermostats and EV chargers
For your commute
Nab a great deal on ultra-low emission car leasing, plus our cycle to work scheme and public transport season ticket loans
Want to hear about our full range of flexible benefits and progressive people policies? Our People Team can tell you everything you need to know.
Oh, and one last thing…
We’d be thrilled if you tick off all our boxes yet we also believe it’s just as important we tick off all of yours. And if you think you have most of what we’re looking for but not every single thing, go ahead and hit apply. We’d still love to hear from you!
To apply for this job please visit careers.ovo.com.